I love using the innerwebs for reading. No, not reading books – I can’t stand fiction. I’m talking about reading blogs, news articles, tweets, lists, galleries – you get the idea.
But lately, I’ve been hyper annoyed with some Internet trends that try to sabotage my reading experiences. I normally try to put a positive spin on my posts, but let me just be honest – this list is simply about stuff that’s bugging the shit out of me.
Here we go:
1. Mobile ads: If you’re in mobile advertising, shame on you! These things block the content I’m trying to read, and sometimes they completely freeze my device! I’ve had enough of this nonsense, and I have stopped visiting some sites altogether because of their piss-poor use of mobile ads. I totally understand that peeps gotta make money, but get your shit together already!
2. Signing into an app: Have you ever tried to click on a Yahoo! article in Facebook? Yeah, it makes you sign in with an app first before it lets you read the article. Well, you know what, Yahoo!? F*** you. This is a PITA, and I don’t need your shitty article anyway.
3. Arrow navigation for a list: Sites like Mashable and EW love this mess. Instead of just putting the list in a, well, list, they make you click an arrow to get to every. single. item. This literally makes me scream, and I just leave the site. The only thing worse is when a site combines this technique with #4…
4. Losing my place when I hit the back button: Really? When I click the back button, you’re going to go all the way back to the top of the page? Way to make me feel like I’m in 9th grade with AOL dial-up. Yeah, that’s how stupid this technique is. Do you know how many ‘new tabs’ I open to try to avoid losing my place on a page?
5. Making me click on a link to ‘read the rest of the story': I get it. You need a way to measure which of your posts are more popular, so you force me to navigate to a unique URL. But please figure out something besides this mess. Ninety-nine percent of the time, no story is worth clicking on a new link and LOSING MY PLACE ON THE PAGE!
And, friends, that is all. I promise next time to write a post that’s chock-full of heart and positivity. Thank you for indulging this random hot-mess post of negativity.
PS – you’re welcome for that sexy hotness at the top.