There are hundreds, if not thousands, of articles written about the best smartphone apps out there. And I would encourage you to read some of those articles to find some really cool technology. This post, however, has a slightly different purpose…
I’ll be the first to admit that I’m too reliant on my iPhone. And there are so many instances when the damn thing actually detracts from just living life. So, I decided to make a list of my favorite apps that: make life more social, give me news and important info, or make boring tasks more exciting or faster.
In other words, these are the value-adding applications that I love:
1. Yelp – I loved the Yelp app from the very first time I used it. I knew it was great for reading reviews and some other cool stuff, but it wasn’t until a day-trip to Chicago that I really realized its true potential. In a new city, I was navigating like a local; I was eating at the best hole-in-the-wall spots and seeing some amazing sights – all without wasting a second of my extremely limited time there. Yelp focuses on real people writing real reviews, and you better believe it delivers.
2. Time – This is my go-to news source. Its mix of serious world news and light-hearted pop culture is exactly what my brain craves. The app is fast and so well-organized that I can get in, get my newsfeed, and get back out to continue making my own news.
3. Glympse – Having Glympse means never again driving and trying to give someone an update to the ever-popular text, “where u @?”. With practically one click, I can send someone a real-time view of my location, and I can even let them follow my GPS for as long as I want.
4. Wikipedia – Does anybody else remember having volumes of encyclopedias? I never really had a new set as a child, but I always inherited my cousin’s old ones. I would spend hours just reading and absorbing every little bit that I could. And now I can do the same thing on my iPhone, but this time the information is always up-to-date.
5. Epicurious – This is my favorite cooking app. It’s so easy to find high-rated recipes, and then I’m making delicious meals in no time at all!
6. Angry Birds – I’m a fidgeter. And sometimes I’m in situations where I just want to crawl through my skin because I have nothing to do. In comes Angry Birds to the rescue. It’s fun, simple, and mindless enough to keep me occupied when I’m going crazy, but it’s not so fascinating that I want to play it instead of living my life.
7. Open Table – I socialize a lot. And I entertain a lot. Instead of spending time looking for a place for dinner and then calling around to see who can take a reservation, I just jump on the Open Table app. In about 60 seconds, I can find great restaurants near my current location, decide on a time, enter the number of guests, and book a reservation. Talk about a time-saver and a stress-reliever!
8. Shazam – I love music. And I love getting new music. But I hate hearing a song and wondering who it is! Now when I hear a great song, I just Shazam it and then download it right away. In about a minute.
9. Netflix – I’m not really a TV or movie watcher. But when I do want to catch up on a TV series or an indie film, I’m not leashed to my living room. I can go to the park, ride a bus, or spin at the gym while enjoying my shows.
10. WordPress – It’s what I’m doing right now: sharing my life as it happens. And it sure makes a boring-ass road trip better.
So, friends, what do you think of my list? Do you have some other value-adding apps that you love too?